Thursday, February 16, 2006

Transfer-Wk 15,Thurs-Telemarketer

No matter how well I can speak, I suppose I will always have conversations like this one a few minutes ago.

Phone rings
Me-“Hello” .. good targets … possibly weak Gentle Onset.

Silent pause, then connect with roar of a call center erupts over the receiver.

“Hello, Is this John MacIntyre?”

“Y-Y-Y”, pause … use my targets. Full breath … “Yes, this is John MacIntyre”

“You hesitated … IS THIS JOHN MACINTYRE?!?!” she demanded.

“I didn’t hesitate. I stutter. Is that ok with you?”

… anyway, it was a telemarketer. And she didn’t last past her first sentence, before I executed a flawless “I’m not interested. Good bye.”

Sales tip #1 – Be courteous to the person who has the money.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered answering each phone call with your name instead of hello? This would allow you to focus on your name, say it nice and strong, and gain confidence for the rest of the sentence.

Vikesh

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:42:00 AM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Hi Vikesh,

I haven't attempted to answer the phone with my name since doing my therapy. Perhaps I should.

This is something which I've never been able to do. And has always limited my professional image. I've even had co-workers point out my telephone mannerisms. But what am I going to say? ... well I can't say "hello" and I can't say "John MacIntyre speaking"?

I haven't been able to say "Hello" when answering the phone for about 25 years. Saying "hello" is something I've only been able to do since my therapy.

You are right. I'm going to change this opening phrase.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home