Thursday, April 27, 2006

Transfer-Wk 25,Thursday-Why I practice

Yesterday at my follow up, we were talking about motivation to do our practice. Not what we need to do … but why are we doing it in the first place?

Why should we spend an hour a day practicing our fluency?

This was so obvious to me it wasn’t even funny!

Why am I spending the time practicing?

In a nutshell, I firmly believe it’s the difference between me spiraling upward into financial prosperity, self respect, and happiness. Or spiraling downward into financial despair, social reclusion, and despondency.

I don’t believe there is any middle ground for me on this one. I’m not going to get a job using my talents to full capacity, and work to retirement. Any job I get will leave me vulnerable to the uncertain decisions of others. Job security is possibly most mythical in software development and construction, which may look different to an outsider, but contain the same cyclical economic / youth centric nature.

Basically, if I can do what needs to be done, I’ll prosper. If not, I’ll never maintain my current position. What ever the result is, it will probably reinforce itself into every other area of my life.

And the bottle neck is my stutter.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 28, 2006 3:32:00 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Practice is like a financial investment, only instead of investing money, the investment is in your time. It is a simple cost-benefit relationship, we put a certain amount of effort into our practice, with the expectation that the value of the reward (speech that is more fluent) will exceed the value of the time spent practicing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home