Friday, April 21, 2006

Transfer-Wk 24,Fri-Velocitization

Have you ever noticed, after driving on the highway for a while, your perception of speed changes?

When you get off the highway, and are halfway down the ramp, you check your speedometer only to find you are doing 80km/hr (50mph) in a 50km/hr (30mph) speed limit. So you slow down till you feel like you are almost crawling, check again, but your still speeding! So you slow down even more, but you’re still speeding! And again, till you finally settle on speeding just a bit.

Well, it’s called “Velocitization”. I first learned this concept when I took drivers training through Young Drivers of Canada. I’ve never heard the term before or since, so I don’t know how well known it is. In case it isn’t well known; here is YD’s interpretation from their website.


17) VELOCITIZATION
When we accelerate from 50km/h in the city to 100km/h on the freeway, initially we feel that we are going very fast. But after a few minutes at the new speed it feels normal. We have become velocitized. Velocitization makes driving on the freeway less scary and makes it easier to go with the flow of traffic. But there is a problem. When we drop down to 80km/h to enter the next exit we feel as if we are going very slow but it is probably way too fast to enter the curve at the end of the exit ramp. To avoid this problem we need to check the ramp speed warning signs and glance at the speedometer to make sure we have slowed down enough.
From Young Drivers of Canada


Well, occasionally, I experience velocitization with my speech. Specifically; with regards to the stretched syllable target.

When I’m busy, and ‘in the zone’, I’m hustling around like a mad man. Wasted time could be measured in nanoseconds, every task switch is in perfect flow, my internal clock is racing and time appears to stands still.

When I need to speak, I attempt to drop my internal clock speed for the stretched syllable target. Usually miss it my first attempt and stutter. I stop, start again, and often am still speaking too fast. I keep stopping, self correcting, retrying with increased stretch (slowing down) until I finally have the control I need for fluency.

An unusual observation I suppose, but as I focus on my fluency more, I become hyperaware of all aspects of it.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:33:00 AM, Blogger Spelunkingwithplato said...

Hey John, great to see you are still posting.
I was interested in the discussion earlier about whether or not you thought stuttering was a disability. After reading your post I still wasn't totally sure if you thought it was a disability or were still unsure. Regardless,
I think people with a stutter face huge challenges, especially in the job market. I am currently at Law School at Western in London Ont. and trust me, job discrimination is this huge dark cloud waiting for me at the end of my schooling.
I think that having it labelled as a disability may in fact empower individuals who stutter to feel more in control when dealing with the outside world.
I realize, like most, that for the majority of our lives we never thought that stuttering was a disability, but when we are being discriminated against on those grounds I think it is important to get some recongition of that discrimination.

Well that's it for me, I just wanted to get my 2 cents in, no need to reply or start up the discussion again, I know I am let in getting to it.

Keep posting!

 
At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

"great to see you are still posting."

Thanks.

"... discussion earlier about whether or not you thought stuttering was a disability. After reading your post I still wasn't totally sure if you thought it was a disability or were still unsure."

When I wrote that article, I really was on the fence as far as opinion goes. Even the subtleties of the posting hint as to my confusion. Check out one of my comments.

Now though, I *DO* think it's a disability. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, it restricts our ability perform common everyday "expected" tasks effectively without undue stress.

I've come to the conclusion there are different levels of disabilities. But, as much frustration as we all feel, and as much as it effects our lives ... I don't think there are too many stutterers who would rather be blind for example.

Also, as my therapy proved, there are methods to control our problem. And as difficult as they may be to master, there is something we can do about it.

Regards,
John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home