Monday, April 17, 2006

Transfer-Wk 24,Mon-Confidence

I don’t have much time, but there is a thought on confidence and my stutter, which I’ve wanted to write about for a while.

About 6 weeks ago, multiple people mentioned how my confidence has increased since taking my speech therapy. It was strange, because it was coming from people I didn’t expect if from, it was totally off topic, and these comments came one after another.

To be honest, when I first heard it, I mostly attributed it to the person really not knowing me very well. But when others started repeating the same thing almost daily; I started to take notice.

Mostly though, I don’t think it is so much an increase in my confidence level, as it is a reduction in the likelihood of humiliating situations. Up until I took my speech therapy, every human interaction had a high probability of frustration and humiliation. But since my therapy, I’m usually able to speak fluently, or at least successfully recover when I stumble.

So I say things which would not normally be worth the effort. I speak to people without being forced to. I initiate casual conversations I would not normally engage in. I am friendly without the perceived danger of somebody talking to me.

Instead of a 95+% likelihood of embarrassment, there is now a 95+% likelihood of success.

So my natural confidence is not beaten into oblivion. And there-in lies my apparent newly acquired confidence.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Congrats on your confidence. Now that I think about it, when I saw you last month at the support meeting, I did notice you were much more relaxed about speaking. Your face had a smile instead of anxiety.

The more confident you appear to your listener, the less they'll care how you get the words out, whether they be fluent or not. As we get more comfortable with our speech, it puts the other party at ease as well.

Vikesh

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:34:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Thanks Vikesh,

You were actually the third person to mention it. That's when I really noticed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home