Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Transfer-Wk 3,Wed.-Toastmasters Best Table Topics Ribbon

While it is probably not too big of a deal for many others, this evening was definitely a step in the right direction for me. Tonight, I was awarded with the Best Table Topics ribbon at my local Toastmasters.

As I explained in my post last week; there is a part of Toastmasters meetings called Table Topics. Basically, topics are thrown out, and you can stand up and discuss it for a minute. This week, I was able to successfully get past the 25 second mark, and didn’t fill most of it with; “wow .. this is harder than I thought … ahhhhh …. No really … it’s not easy. … ahhhhh …. I’ve run out. …. Ahhhh …. Thanks, I’m done.” ;-)

By the way; other than a few misses, I executed my targets consistently in tonights meeting.

I’ve committed to join next week. I’ve heard of how great Toastmasters is for years, but it really is an understatement. You have plenty of speaking opportunities, and it is unbelievably supportive.

Also today, I had a follow up at the Stuttering Center. Basically; I need to continue to tweak my evaluations, record keeping, and work on my self corrections. I also need to practice more. I still have a lot of emotional baggage around the telephone and speaking to people.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats great John.
May I know the topic? Just asking to get an idea what kind of topic one can get there.
How much is the annual fee?

Sabir

 
At Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:07:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Sabir,

You've got to go. It's great.

Go to the website and do a search on clubs in your area http://www.toastmasters.org/find/

btw, there's a club for People Who Stutter in downtown Toronto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home