Thursday, October 27, 2005

PFSP-Day 9-½ Second Stretch

Today we moved to ½ second stretch. It’s pretty darn close to normal speaking speed, and I can feel that a real life, usable skill, just around the corner.

Believe it or not, moving up to ½ second syllables was difficult and felt too fast after the exaggeratedly prolonged syllables performed during the past week. It actually took me about 40-50 minutes to execute it in a manner I was happy with. But it’s still less than half the, 0.2 second syllables, in regular speech.

Other than that, it was mostly practice via; the gentle onset testing monitor, paired dialog, or group dialog. It was actually pretty relaxing and enjoyable.

One thing I did notice about today, I really feel good. I mean, I’m really tired since I got up early this morning, but otherwise, I’m on top of the world. I contribute this mostly to the lack of fear about looking like a fool if I need to communicate with anybody. I’ve even spoken to a few people I didn’t have to. It was pretty cool.

Tomorrow we move to slow normal, where we will be using our targets at near normal speaking pace.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

1 Comments:

At Monday, April 10, 2006 10:33:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Tom,

Are you attempting to learn fluency shaping off my blog?

I'm flattered, and your determination is admirable. But I don't think it's a good idea.

Personally, I feel attempting to learn this on your own, may possibly make your stutter worse.

Having said that; the first stretchable sound uses half the time for the whole syllable. But at 1/2 second, you can't really measure it as accurately as with slower speeds.

Sincerely,
John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home