Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Transfer-Wk 1,Tues.-Fitting practice into my life

Since the intensive portion of my therapy ended on Friday, I’ve been struggling to incorporate the practice into my life.

On Saturday I made the huge mistake of trying to organize my shaping around somebody else’s schedule. Shaping is a 20 minute exercise to practice the targets, starting at the ultraslow 2 seconds per syllable, then speed it up to my normal speaking rate. The exercise is then followed by a 5-10 minute conversation.

My problem is that I was waiting until I knew my wife would be home to do my shaping, so I could do the conversation with her. Big mistake, she went out first thing in the morning to pick something up, but through a series of unforeseen “shopping opportunities”, she didn’t get back until 2:00 in the afternoon. Since I had no food in the house, I then had to go buy lunch. Then as soon as I got back, we scurried out the door to a party.

Soooo …. the party I was planning to use as practice for my targets wasn’t really effective, since I didn’t do my shaping before going. I tried to use my targets, but wasn’t as accurate as I was the day before.

I’ve done my shaping every day since, but this morning was the first time I did it optimally. I’m going to attempt to do it right before my first speaking opportunity, but if I don’t know when it will be, I’ll just do it without the follow up conversation.

I’m also having a difficult time remembering to do my review. By re-reading the manuals for 10-15 minutes per day (repeating when finished), my skills will not deteriorate. In order to resolve that, I think I may put my manuals beside my bed, or in the TV room.

I also need to figure out some way to record my spontaneous transfers. Either carry a transfer sheet around with me always, or start using my Palm V again. But I find without writing them down immediately, I am quickly forgetting which targets I’m missing.

One target I am having serious problems with is full breath. Basically, I continuously attempt to speak without breathing. As if the 16 year old kid working at Wal-Mart, has a demanding schedule and can’t afford to wait. ;-)

Also, I planned to do another video and write a summary of what I learnt in therapy, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Possibly later in the week.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Friday, November 11, 2005 7:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Nice to see an informative blog on stuttering therapy!

Dan
daneeboy@gmail.come

 
At Friday, November 11, 2005 9:26:00 AM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Thanks Dan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home