Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Transfer-Wk 28,Wed-Successful interview

Yesterday, I found myself sitting in a boardroom with an IT manager and the Controller of a fairly large company here in the Greater Toronto Area. I was being interviewed for a part time position to maintain, augment, and possibly refactor their current system.

It sounds like a great project, I see them as possibly another long term client. This also diversifies my income so I’m not as affected by the decisions of a single company. And the entire opportunity came as the result of a casual conversation I had with another Toastmaster a few months ago.

Since I would have avoided casual conversation before my therapy, and never would have met this person, had I not been in Toastmasters, and I would have not been in Toastmasters had it been not for my therapy. You can track this opportunity directly back to my speech therapy.

This isn’t even to mention that my interview went so well without my stuttering getting in the way. Don’t get me wrong, I did stutter, but I was able to control it for the most part, and quickly recovered when control slipped away. I also surprised myself by self correcting when I stumbled.

I was also able to avoid a major problem I’ve had in the past in interviews, where my fear of stuttering kills my confidence, and the lack of confidence makes all the great things I’ve done on my resume look like lies.

For the record, I did get the position, and start next week. I’m really looking forward to doing a great job for them.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:03:00 PM, Blogger Rob said...

John,

Congrats on getting the job. It is great that in this situation, your speech therapy provided you with a double benefit - the fluency skills for the interview AND the networking opportunity through Toastmasters.

 
At Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:41:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Thanks Rob,

It all stacks on each other doesnt' it?

Stuttering, or at least the excuse of stuttering, could have prevented this chain of events from happening.

Blows my mind ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home