Thursday, December 22, 2005

Transfer-Wk 7,Thurs.-Control

I started writing on November 27th, the day of our first snow fall in Toronto, but got bogged down with the copy right for a great picture I wanted to accompany it. So it just wound up on the back burner.

Well, I really don't have too much to say right now, so I thought I'd post it.
It snowed the other day in Toronto and as usual, the first snowfall brought heavy traffic and a flurry of fender benders.

For some reason, Toronto seems particularly vulnerable to problems after the first snowfall. I don’t recall there being problems like this in my hometown of Halifax. Why does Toronto have so many problems? Are drivers just too aggressive here? Is it the congestion? Is it because our large immigrant population gives us many drivers who are not experienced with Canadian driving conditions?

You can speculate as to what the problem is, but what it really comes down to is control. It’s very easy to delude myself into thinking I am in control when I’m not. And it’s not until I’m sliding into the ditch that it becomes obvious control was lost.

I’m finding my speech is the same way. It’s easy to delude myself into thinking that I’m in control of my speech when really; I’m just coasting on the icy road of spontaneous fluency.

Since my course ended, I have been trying to use my targets in a manner which people would not hear a difference. I suppose I’ve been trying to push the envelope with many of my targets, especially the stretched syllable target.

Is it irresponsible of me to do this? Is it ok for me to be on the bleeding edge of control with my fluency?

Sure .. why not might be a common answer to this.

But why is it acceptable with my speech? I mean surely, if I were to admit being consistently out of control while driving in the snow, I’d be considered reckless, inept, and a general hazard to the community. Even losing control for a second is a sign of complete irresponsibility!

Perhaps this is the attitude I should be taking with my fluency.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home