Friday, December 16, 2005

Transfer-Wk 6,Fri.-Entropy

Up until last week I had done my daily shaping every day. But last week I missed 2 days, and this week I missed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I wasn’t happy that I missed it, but life just kind of took over. By mid week I had totally lost my ability to use my targets, increasingly using my previous spontaneous fluency pattern.

But Wednesday evening, I was stuttering like a maniac picking up a prescription at the drug store…I was blocking badly. And as reminiscent of old times, the guy behind me, just had to see my face as I attempted to shield myself from the embarrassment! He started off behind me, but when I started to stutter, he came around my right side leaning over to watch me. When I turned my back on him, leaning left, he moved completely around to my left side. I turned away again, and he again moved to my right. At this point, I realized he was determined to watch, so I stopped trying to get away from him and let him watch me make a fool out of myself!

Guess what … I came home and did my shaping! I did it yesterday and today. I don’t think I’ll miss it again for a while. ;-)

On a lighter side, I just got a really confusing phone call, where there was obviously something going on at the caller end. When I answered the call, I knew it was an unsolicited call, but saw it as an opportunity to practice my targets. The call went something like this:

Me - “Hello?”
Nothing
Me - “Hello?”
Pause .. “Hi”
“Hi .. how are you?”
“Good .. how are you?”
“Fine … how can I help you?”
Then they hung up.

????

I don’t know what the heck that was, but before my therapy, I definitely would have stuttered and interpreted the hang up as some kind of rejection. Then I would have felt like crap for the rest of the day. At least now I know what ever the heck the problem was … it wasn’t my problem and I quickly moved on with my work.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Tom Weidig said...

Hi John,

I have (had) similar experiences...

By the way, I am talking about you right now on my blog! :-)

thestutteringbrain.blogspot.com

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:29:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Thanks for the plug Tom. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home