Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Stopwatch & pre-therapy spontaneous fluency

For my therapy, I need to purchase a non-digital stopwatch with a rotating second hand. Try to find one of those at Sears, they don’t sell them any more, nobody does. There is only one known place in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) which sells them, Marathon Watch Company (no affiliation). I’m sure there are other places, but they are difficult to find.

I was on their website a while back (August 22nd), and found one I like. I like it, because it has the largest seconds (at least I think those are seconds). But the price wasn’t listed, so I requested information, only to find out that watch was not currently available. The sales person recommended a more conventional 60 second watch.

So I’ve been sitting on it for a while, because I prefer the other one, and time is so elusive for the non-urgent tasks. Also, I’m living the illusion that the one I bought 12 years ago will magically reappear.

Monday, I emailed the sales person, but haven’t received a reply yet, and was forced to make a phone call today.

You know what? I find as my speech therapy gets closer; my spontaneous fluency is increasing. The phone call was a breeze. Don’t get me wrong, I stuttered on about 15% or my words and had 2 or 3 blocks. I was also talking 100mph, trying to get it all out before I blocked. … But I felt a heck of a lot more fluent than normal!

It’s not just that one phone call either; I find I am becoming more fluent recently. Perhaps it’s the psychological effect of this blog … who knows.

Hopefully the sales person will call me back this afternoon, so I can go pick it up before Friday. I also have to figure out why my tape recorder isn’t recording, before I have to go out and buy a new one.


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, October 16, 2005 2:59:00 PM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

FYI; I picked up my watch on Friday. Marathon gives stutterers a great deal. I won't give out the numbers, but lets just say it's substantial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home