Thursday, October 06, 2005

As promised the fishing picture

This picture is in regards to a previous post .. as promised. If you scroll down far enough, you will find the explaination of it's relevance ... but I will repost it here to save you the time.

From Effects upon my family roles

"The fact that fluency is random only confused them more. When I was about 8 or 9, I caught my first fish. Because fresh water fishing in the area I come from doesn’t yield a lot of fish, combined with the fact that I suck at fishing; I had been fishing for years without catching anything. So when I finally caught my first fish, I ran up the hill to my parents screaming that I caught a fish. They congratulated me, set me up for a picture, the small fish turned so the narrowest side was facing the camera, and we got a picture of me holding up what looks like a baited fishing rod with a big grin on my face. (I’ll try to get a copy posted before the blog is over)"

"This fishing story is relevant because I spoke fluently between the time I caught the fish, and the time the picture was taken. The fluency was logically determined to be proof that I didn’t really have a problem at all and that I had better stop it immediately."


Not meant as advice, please find a qualified therapist if you are interested in similar therapy.

3 Comments:

At Friday, October 07, 2005 2:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice fish.

The periodic fluency is what baffles me the most. Overall, I am a mild stutterer, but in certain situations, such as when introducing myself, I can block for 10 or more seconds - it is just brutal. On the other hand, when I am alone, I can always say my name, without fail. Obviously, the motor functions can and do work; they just do not work all the time.

On a related note, I was surprised that you stuttered in your video. I do stutter on recordings, such as voicemail, but I never stutter when leaving a forwarding mesage or anything where I can control the media. It is such a mindgame. When I know I can just rerecord, I do not stutter, and have no need to rerecord. Was someone recording you, or do you stutter when you are alone? I hope you do not mind my questions, but I do not get to interact with other stutters much at all, so when I do, I have a lot to ask.

 
At Friday, October 07, 2005 6:32:00 AM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

Nice Fish
… Thanks. That’s not even the whole picture .. I cropped out 80% and I zoomed it so you could see it! When I saw this picture, after almost 30 years, I even didn’t know what the picture was … my father had to tell me the fish was there! ;-)

As for the video, I taped it alone. I didn’t edit it (with the exception of removing an exaggeration that I made). By the way, I would not have edited that video since the point was to show how I stuttered before therapy.

I do stutter when I’m alone.

People assume I only stutter when I’m being judged. But I stutter when I talk to a child, or a dog, or to myself. I even stutter when I visualize what I’m going to say.

As for voice mails, it can take me over an hour to record my voice mails.

 
At Friday, October 07, 2005 6:46:00 AM, Blogger John MacIntyre said...

By the way, you said you have a lot of questions.

You might want to consider joining a support group. But if you wanted to ask me anything, you can email me from my website. http://www.johnmacintyre.ca/contact.asp. Just remember though; I’m not a therapist, I’m not even a very informed stutterer. So I’m really not qualified to answer anything other than how my speech problem affects my life.

If you ask your questions before October 17th, it might make in interesting blog entry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home